Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What's Your Thing? (Part 2)

At ten years old I began writing everyday in my journal. I started making guest appearances as a speaker when I was thirteen. I discovered my love of makeup art at the age of sixteen. As a twenty year old college student, I landed my first leading role, as an actress, in a musical. By the age of twenty-five I had written the first single for an album that was nominated for a Grammy. All the while, I maintained a career in human services. At twenty-seven years old, when was asked what I did best, I had NO ANSWER. Unbelievable! Right? How can someone that has tried her hand at all those things not have a handle on any one of them? Is it necessary to chose one thing? Is it possible to be good at all of them?

I am sure you have heard of the phrase “a jack of all trades, but a master of none.” The connotation is you shouldn’t try to do a bunch of things good, when you can do one thing great. I ascribed to that notion until I quit doing everything I loved to pursue the one thing I liked a lot. I spent five years just concentrating on writing songs. I grew to love creating music. To this day, I can go to sleep with a thought and wake up with a song. It sounds like writing songs was my “thing.” Well it wasn’t. I missed being a makeup artist. I missed writing about my life experiences. I was completely confused about what I was supposed to be doing with my life when I realized that everything I loved to do had a place in my life. I was given certain talents as pieces of a puzzle that complete who I am. In my search to discover the “thing” I did best, I uncovered many things that I do well.

As you move forward with this series to discover the thing you do best, start with things you do well. Make a list of the things that you’ve always wanted to try, the things you’ve started and never finished, and of course the thing you do most.



Here is some of my makeup art!



To Blog...Nakeia

No comments:

Post a Comment