Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

What's Your Thing? (Part 4)

Most of you are in search of the thing that suits you best as a career. Today’s blog is for you…

The most difficult part of your journey to discover your thing is over! Congratulations! At this point, your list should be much smaller and you should feel much more focused.

Your list has been broken down into two categories:
1. Things you are good at.
2. Things you are ok at.

Of the things you are good at, is your current job one of them? If your answer is yes, that’s great. However the fact that you are still in search of your thing shows that just because you are good at something doesn’t mean it’s your thing. If your answer is no, there are only two explanations. You have not been true to yourself and you seriously lied during your interview.

Let’s take a look at your list. Read through it and put a dollar sign ($) in front of the thing you think someone would pay you to do. For example, makeup art was on my list. Not only did I think someone would pay me for it, I worked as a makeup artist for M.A.C. Cosmetics and was making extra money as a freelance artist. However, even if no one has paid you (yet) to do it, give it a $ anyway. Now of the things that earned a $, put slash through it if you would do it even if no one paid you. That slash signifies just how passionate you are about that particular thing. Doing something that you could get paid for doing…for nothing, is quite exceptional. There was one thing on my list that I would do for free. I would give advice and empowerment resources to everyone that needed it. I had actually been doing that for years. When I decided to make it a career, I used my friends as Ginny pigs. That was my opportunity to see if I was as good as I thought I was.

Now the next step is simple…make a choice. You know what you are good at and you even know how passionate you are about it. What is left is for you to decide. If you are still having trouble making a decision, you can try your hand at each one for a specified period of time, crossing them off as you go along. Then, go with the one that makes the final cut!

Some of you will look at your list and immediately recognize your thing. Some of you will decide after a week or even six weeks from now. The point of this series is to offer a formula for you to use to get the answers you seek. Knowing what you do best and actively doing it is the key to a life of purpose.

Save what is left of your list for the final blog of this series.

To Blog…Nakeia

No comments:

Post a Comment