Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Avocados...

I never liked avocados. I avoided them on salads, never ate guacamole, and picked them out of sandwiches. I couldn’t get over the texture. It’s fleshy and creamy all at the same time. I also thought that they had no flavor. To me, they tasted like nothing. Then I started this whole occasional healthy eating kick. I learned about eating for nutrition as opposed to eating solely for pleasure. When I realized how beneficial avocados were to my health, I decided to give them another try. Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. They also act as a "nutrient booster" by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta-carotene and lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit. The vitamins and healthy oils in avocados make them good for your hair and skin.

So, as I said before…I gave them another try. To my surprise, they are my new favorite thing to eat. I learned from watching the Food Network, reading books on nutrition, and talking with my friend Alexa of preciousmouthfuls.com, that paring avocados with the right ingredients enhances its flavor. Just by adding a little citrus juice and seasoning my dislike of avocados turned into a like-it-a-lot! Many people enjoy avocados as a spread with a little salt and pepper, with some sugar and milk as a tasty shake, or in a sandwich as a replacement for meat. I now enjoy them paired with tomatoes, red onions and a dressing made up of olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, and garlic powder…who knew?!?

I am now going to shamelessly compare you to an avocado. On your own, you are full of ideas, experience, and ambition. Now just imagine how much better you could be if paired with the right ingredients. That is…things that will enhance who you are in business, love, and life. Just by adding one book a month, a mentor in the field you desire success in, and a healthy dose of intention, you could go from average to exceptional!

To Blog…Nakeia

No comments:

Post a Comment