Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Change

There is this person, who shall remain nameless, that is always unhappy with her life. She calls me for advice, I give it, and she hangs up feeling good…then…calls me the very next week to complain again. I realized, years ago, that she does not understand the importance of change. Despite her apparent displeasure with the course of her life, she refuses to make the necessary changes to achieve what she wants. She complains about money, but refuses to cut back on her shopping sprees. She complains about her job, but rejects promotions because she would have to relocate. If what she wants involves doing something different, she would rather not have it! Believe it or not, that makes sense…technically. Your body, mind and spirit will crave what you expose it to the most.

I remember how difficult it was for me to get use to living in a new city, after living in the same apartment for 17 years. I was grateful to be able to leave that apartment…which…by the way, was located in the projects. However, I was so used to my old routine that I would often, subconsciously, drive in the direction of my old place after leaving church on Sundays. Eventually, I developed a new routine. Although the drugs and violence I was exposed to while living in that apartment motivated me to create the life I have now, I still remembered the few good moments I had there at 37 Maple Drive. I remembered my best friend that lived around the corner. I remebered the kick ball games my dad would organize in the field. After moving, I wished I could re-live those things. But...moving is what kept me away from the things that could have influenced me to live the life I vowed I would never live.

Change is not as difficult as people make it out to be. It is actually quite simple. It is just a matter of doing something different than what you have done before. In doing so, you will inevitably experience different results. Take the person I mentioned before for example. If she wants more money, she should spend less. If she wants a new job, she should take the promotion and move. Beside, she also complains about her house, her friends, AND she needs a man (in her own words). Moving to a new city will bring about a new house, new friends, and maybe even new a man!

You may have heard it said before that it takes at least 2 weeks to break a habit. During those two weeks, experts advise that you replace the old habit with a new one. That is what I ask of you. Think of one thing that you know you need to change and change it for at least 2 weeks. If you need to change the amount of money you spend, put yourself on a 2 week budget. If you need to change the company you keep, stay away from whom ever that is for 2 weeks. You can even take that time to reconnect with an old friend. Whatever change you need to make, commit to it for 2 weeks. I guarantee you will experience different…better results in your life!

When you are through changing, you are through ~ Martha Steward

To Blog…Nakeia

No comments:

Post a Comment