Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Words To Live By...

I have 3 nieces and 3 nephews. They range from ages 10 all the way down to 1 day old (my baby sister just had a brand new baby boy!). I just love each of them! They are smart, funny, and I would argue that they are grown-ups in trapped in kiddy bodies! None the less, kids are very impressionable. One word from favorite auntie can live long after it is spoken. I try to shield them from as much negative influence as possible when ever we are together. That is exactly what I was trying to do when I told my oldest niece that she couldn’t listen to the radio one day. I explained to her that some songs were written with adult content…some stuff even adults shouldn’t listen to. Well of course, what I said stayed with her. Literally months later, I was minding my own business when a Beyonce song came on the radio. I don’t remember which one…but there was a point in my life when anything Beyonce would send me into a dancing frEnZy! I was just about into my second booty shake when my niece said auntie don’t you think this song has too much adult content in it…even too much for adults??!? I was speechless! I was being schooled by an 8 year oldwith my own words!!!

I remember hearing the phrase do what I say and not as I do. It didn’t make sense to me as a child and it doesn’t make sense now. Why would you tell someone to do something that you are not willing to do yourself? Further more, what you do is most often more important than what you say…and if you must say something make sure to use words that you live by.

To Blog…Nakeia

No comments:

Post a Comment