Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Be In It, To Win It!

So I am just about at my 7th week of consistently working out after my 6 month long break. It has been difficult, not because of the work outs…I mean…I came to the realization that working out will be difficult a long time ago. It’s the getting up out of bed, usually after a long night, and taking the 15 minute drive to the gym, climbing up the stairs and opening the door to the cycling room. But when I get on that bike, its game time! I am in it, to win it! However, lately I realized something about myself. I have managed to get back into the swing of things fairly easily, but if I am completely honest, when the instructor would say increase that resistance, I pretended as if I was so into my ride that I didn’t hear her. Now I had resistance on and the ride wasn’t easy. But…I could have done more.

So, after having a long talk with myself about what I needed to do to achieve what I wanted…I did it. I increased that resistance and pushed through it! It wasn’t easy and I had to adjust my speed. But…I did it! As a result…I lost about 5 inches total over the past two weeks! Sounds good, right? Not so much…because if I am still being honest, I can do more. I mean, I am working out 5 days a week…pretty hard. Last week, I even added a 75 minute total conditioning class. I am going hard! Except for when it comes to what I eat. I do the organic chicken breast and salads with homemade dressing, the bananas and apples, the egg whites and fresh salsa for added veggies. BUT…in between those nutritious meals, I sneak in a couple of Lays potato chips, or Starbucks white chocolate mocha, or…and hear is where I really go wrong…I enjoy some of my husbands deliciously sweet baked goods. There! I confess! I am a mess when it comes to eating. So…I need to do more. I need to push myself even further. If I am truly in it to win it, then I must stay in the game especially outside of the gym. The instructor reminded us that being fit is 20% workouts and 80% eating well. Once again, I had a conversation with myself on the way home from the gym this morning and I am ready to push even harder! You will be pleased to hear that I drove right past Starbucks despite the temptation to do a quick drive-by.

I shared my stay healthy madness with you not just to oust myself for the purpose of accountability. I share because I know that I am not alone. You have the ability to do more and achieve more. Some of you need to have the same kind of conversation with yourself that I had to have with myself. In order to achieve what you want, you must be willing to do what needs to be done. Push through the resistance and be in it to win it!

Today, complete a self assessment. Determine 1 way that you can do more to achieve your goals in your personal and professional life and commit to making it happen this week. Maybe you could enroll in a course that will enhance your professional development. Maybe you could commit to reading at least 1 personal development book each month. Whatever it is that you can do to achieve more, commit to making it happen…starting today!

To Blog…Nakeia

2 comments: